Designer Launcher - Download and Install
Use the following steps to do a one-time install of the Designer Launcher from the Gateway webpage:
- If you are already logged into Ignition, then go to the Homepage of the Gateway Webpage, otherwise login as the user with full / administrative privileges.
From the Gateway webpage, click the Download button for the Designer.
Select the Download button for the platform you are running on: Windows, Mac OS, or Lunix. In this example, we are running on Windows.
- Run the downloaded file (DesignerLauncherSetup.exe) found on the lower-left of the window, or go to your downloads folder and double-click the file to run it.
- The Select Additional Tasks window will open. Here, you can select additional tasks that you would like to setup to perform while installing the DesignerLauncher. It's a good idea to Create a desktop shortcut to pin to your browser's task bar so it's easily accessible when you want to open the Designer Launcher. Click Next.
- Now, you're Ready to Install the Designer Launcher on your computer. Click Install to continue.
- Once the Designer Launcher is installed, complete the setup by checking the box to Launch Designer Launcher and click Finish.
- The Ignition Designer Launcher window will open. Here you can select any Designers you have permission to launch. If you are running this for the first time, by default, you will only see one Designer.
You have the option to Launch the Designer, or Launch + Create a Shortcut for that Designer on your desktop from the dropdown list.
If you Create a Shortcut, it will look like the image below with the name of your Gateway on it like the icon below. When you click on the shortcut icon, it will launch the Controller Gateway directly.
Since a Designer Launcher icon was created in Step 7 and is aready on your desktop, you can leave the default name and either keep it on your desktop or pin it to your browser's task bar. By clicking the Designer Launcher icon, it will open the Ignition Designer Launcher window and display all the Designers you have permission to launch. Click Launch for any of the Designers you wish to open.
- The Designer starts up and the login window is displayed. Enter the credentials for the administrator or user with full privileges for the Designer, and click Login. It should be the same as the login for the Gateway Config section right now: Note: Login credentials are set in the Config section of the Gateway Webpage, under Security > Users, Roles.
- The Open/Create Project window is displayed giving you two options: create a new project or open an existing one. Since we don't have any existing projects yet, create a new project.
The same Designer can access all the projects that are available on that Gateway, and you don't need to add the Designer multiple times for different Gateways!
Configuring the Designer Launcher
There really isn't much to do when configuring the Designer Launcher. The Designer Launcher finds the Gateways, you add the Designers, and the only thing left to do is create your shortcuts. You can create a shortcut for each Designer, or use the Designer Launcher to display all your Designers. Let's open the Designer Launcher to create a few shortcuts
The Designer is launched from the Home page on the Gateway webpage, as shown in the image below. You will need to login to Ignition to access the Designer. If this is your first time accessing the Designer, you will need to download and install the Designer Launcher. Click Download and follow the steps for installing the Designer Launcher in the Open the Designer section of the Quick Start Guide.
- The section on Open the Designer of the Quick Start Guide also goes over creating shortcuts for individual Designers, and using the default Designer Launcher window to view all the Designers you have permission to open. Placing shortcuts on your desktop or pinning them to your browser's task bar makes them readily accessible for opening a Designer quickly! You can create an individual icon for specific Gateways,
or use the default Designer Launcher that opens a window that displays all the Gateways you have access to.
- Click the Launch button for the Gateway you want to access. Once the Designer is started, you will be prompted with the login window. Enter your username and password.
- Once logged in, the Open/Create Project window will open and you can either open an existing project, or create a new project. To create your first project, refer to Creating a Project later on this page.
Adding Additional Designers
When you install the Designer Launcher for the first time, you may only find one Gateway. It takes time for the Designer Launcher to browse and locate multiple Gateways on a large network. Open the Designer Launcher and use the following steps to add addition Designers: