- If you are already logged into Ignition, then go to the Homepage of the Gateway Webpage, otherwise login as the user with full / administrative privileges.
From the Gateway webpage, click the Download button for the Designer.
Select the Download button for the platform you are running on: Windows, Mac OS, or Lunix. In this example, we are running on Windows.
- Run the downloaded file (DesignerLauncherSetup.exe) found on the lower-left of the window, or go to your downloads folder and double-click the file to run it.
- The Select Additional Tasks window will open. Here, you can select additional tasks that you would like to setup to perform while installing the DesignerLauncher. It's a good idea to Create a desktop shortcut so it's easily accessible when you want to open the Designer Launcher. Click Next.
- Now, you're Ready to Install the Designer Launcher on your computer. Click Install to continue.
- Once the Designer Launcher is installed, complete the setup by checking the box to Launch Designer Launcher and click Finish.
- The Ignition Designer Launcher window will open. Here you can select any Designers you have permission to launch. If you are running this for the first time, by default, you will only see one Designer. Click Launch.
- You also have the option to Create Shortcut, or Launch + Create a Shortcut on your desktop by clicking the dropdown.
If you Create a Shortcut, it will look like the image below with the name of your Designer (i.e., Controller) on it like the icon below. Click on the shortcut icon to launch your Designer.
Since a Designer Launcher icon was created in Step 7, it is aready on your desktop. By clicking the Designer Launcher icon, it will open the Ignition Designer Launcher window and display all your Designers.To learn more, refer to Designer Launcher.
- The Designer starts up and the login window is displayed. Enter the credentials for the administrator or user with full privileges for the Designer, and click Login. It should be the same as the login for the Gateway Config section.
Note: Login credentials are set in the Config section of the Gateway Webpage, under Security > Users, Roles.
- The Open/Create Project window is displayed giving you two options, to create a new project or open an existing one. Since we don't have any existing projects, Let's create a new project by clicking + New Project.
- In the Project Name field, Project Name - enter a name for your new project. The Project Name can only consist of alphanumeric characters and the '_' (underscore) character. Spaces and other special characters are not supported.
- Project Title (optional) - This is the name that will be displayed on the launch page of the Gateway and in the runtime Client or Session. There are no spaces!).The User Source field restrictions on using special characters or spaces. If you do not specify a title, the project name will be displayed on the Gateway launch page and in the runtime.
- User Source - will automatically populate to 'default.' If you created a Database Connection, you will see the Default Database field is already populated. This Used for granting users access to the project. For more information or to add users, see Security.
- Default Database - Select the database from the dropdown list. This will be important when we get to storing history.The Default Tag Provider Any queries to the database will use this default database connection unless explicitly specified.
- Default Tag Provider - Select the primary Tag provider from the dropdown list. Most installations will likely only have one provider, but in situations where there are more than one, this is the provider that will be used unless explicitly specified. This field will automatically populate to 'default.'
- Parent Project - Each project may have a parent project, and will inherit all of the resources of that parent project. Click the dropdown list to see all the available options.
- Project Template - There are several pre-built project templates focused on navigation that support either Perspective or Vision: Perspective Menu Nav, Perspective Web Nav, Vision 2-Tier Tab Nav, Vision Tab Nav, and Vision Tree Nav. Click the dropdown to see all the available options.
- Click on Create New Project.
When you open the Designer interface for the first time, the Perspective Page Configuration opens if you have the Perspective Module installed. If you don't have the Perspective Module installed, the Vision Designer window will open.
You can begin designing in either Perspective or Vision from the Designer interface, as shown below. Expand the Perspective and Vision folders and you'll notice that the folder contents are dfferent. In Perspective, you add components to Views. In Vision, you add components to Windows. To learn how to add components and bring them to life, go to Quick Start - Perspective Session and Quick Start - Vision Client.
Learn more about the Designer, Perspective Designer Interface, and Vision Designer Interface.