Ignition Reporting enables users from operators to managers to increase productivity, decrease waste, increase quality, and reduce costs with existing resources by providing a view of their manufacturing process. Managers often save time by automating reporting processes that were once done by hand. Often valuable hours that went into creating spreadsheets or reports can be recovered. These reports are easy to manage since they are generated on the fly from existing SQL database data.
Here are some of the other innovative features of the Reporting Module:
- Report designer Interface
- Scheduled report generation
- Powerful data collection utilities
- Drag-and-drop query builder
- Table and chart components
- 2D barcode generation
- Familiar property editing
- Flexible report distribution to file, email, FTP and more
- Scripting capabilities
The variety of report design components include tables, crosstab tables, XY charts, barcodes, pie charts, bar charts and more. Report tables can dynamically add pages to account for varying amounts of data, or change appearance based on certain values. Report charts can provide visual representation of comparisons and trends in data.
Reporting Module Components for the Vision Module
The Reporting Module provides several components that can be used with the Vision Module. The Report Viewer component allows reports to be viewed directly from the client. The Row Selector and Column Selector components let clients manipulate datasets graphically, while the File Explorer and PDF File Viewer components allow clients to access files outside of Ignition.
Scheduled Report Execution
The scheduling system allows you to set the date, time, and frequency for executing a report. You can also set options for distribution of the report, including email, print, save, and more.
Supports Multiple File Formats
Reports can be generated in the following file formats: CSV, HTML, JPEG, PDF, PNG, RTF, XML, and EXCEL.
Scripting in the Reporting Module
The Reporting Module allows you to extend the existing functionality through scripting. You can customize reports with one of the following:
- Script Data Source: The Script Data Source type allows you to add to or modify your data set with Python code. For example, you can alter other Data Sources, combine results, and do complex calculations.
- Scheduling: The Run Script action in the Report Scheduling system enables you to create a script to do exactly what you want with a generated report.
- Scripting Functions: The Reporting Module adds additional functions to the list of system.report.* functions available throughout Ignition. You can use these functions to execute and/or distribute reports on demand.
Trial Mode Functionality
Like other systems in Ignition, the Reporting Module has full functionality in trial mode. There is no limit on the number of reports or how you can view or distribute them. Reports created in trial mode will have a watermark on each page.
To take advantage of Ignition's powerful platform, the Reporting Module was updated in version 7.8. You may view reports created by an older Reporting Module version in your project. If you need to modify an existing report, you'll still have access to the same customizer that you always had, double-clicking on them to open up their editor. They will continue to work as they always have without any modification. To learn more about converting reports created before Ignition version 7.8, refer to the section on Converting Legacy Reports.
We recommend that you convert your older reports to the latest version to take advantage of the many features of the Reporting Module.