New in This Release
- Ignition 8 features a new poll-free protocol that updates tag data instantly for both Vision and Perspective clients. As a result, Vision clients in Ignition 8 are drastically faster while using dramatically less CPU power.
- For the new Vision Module, we’ve created new native Vision client launchers for Windows, Mac, and Linux, so you can easily launch Vision clients on any major operating system without needing to install and update Java.
- Ignition Vision is perfect for dedicated plant-floor displays and HMIs, while Ignition Perspective is perfect for mobile-first industrial applications. You can use them on their own or together to form the industry’s most powerful, cutting-edge visualization system.
- Vision client screens will look even better in Ignition 8, thanks to a new design and new support for high-resolution displays.
- Fonts have also been improved with more choices and better rendering so your screens look sharper and more stylish than ever.
- Ignition 8 has an improved concurrent editing system which allows multiple people to work on the same project at the same time without locking each other out of resources. This will help your team work faster and more collaboratively.
- In Ignition Perspective, you can use powerful and flexible CSS3 styles to change the appearance and position of anything in your application. By combining styles into themes, you'll be able to apply and edit styles across multiple applications in an instant.
What Can it Do?
Because of its modular nature, Ignition can do a lot or a little and be completely customized to your needs. A lot of the basic functionality is shared between modules and stored in the Gateway to make everything as smooth and seamless as possible. Some of these basics are database connections, device connections, Tags, Security profiles, and Alarming. Because these are all shared resources, you don't have to worry about managing multiple connections for the different modules in Ignition: it just works! You can build database applications using Ignition. You can create POS, CRM, and inventory tracking systems. You can bring in data from any SQL database in your plant and interact with other existing ERP and Access systems.
Modules provide the core functionality for Ignition where the Gateway provides the backbone of shared resources. There are no limitations to Ignition, here are just a few of the things Ignition can do for you:
Web-Based HMI and SCADA Applications Deployment
Using web technologies, you can access PLCs and connect to SQL databases on any platform. Ignition provides the common HMI/SCADA capabilities, but in an easier and more efficient way. Create runtime clients and sessions that show current or past data, interact with your other systems and devices, create displays and controls for anything wired into your system. See and manage your entire system from one place.
High Performance Historian
You can use any SQL database with Ignition’s high-performance historian. It's simple to set up and Ignition will monitor and control the data for you. The Historian includes partitioning and uses compression algorithms for fast data storage and retrieval.
You can create dynamic PDF reports that users can see and change with on the fly. Give users the ability to change date ranges or select past reports without any changes to the system. Create schedules to email or save compliance reports when you need them.
You can use Ignition’s state-of-the-art alarming engine to create alarms for any condition you can imagine. Alarms can be recorded, acknowledged, or dealt with by sending out notifications. Email, SMS and voice messages can be sent to individuals or whole lists of users based on any logic you need.
You can use Ignition as an effective communication hub in your network. You can use some or all of these features to make Ignition move data back and forth throughout your facility. Connect everything together with:
- OPC-based and communicates with virtually any OPC server
- SQL-based (JDBC) and connects to any number of Databases
- Built-in PLC drivers and connects to any PLC (Allen-Bradley, Siemens, Modbus, etc.) through OPC
- Supports any web services and launches anywhere
- Connects with other enterprise systems (ERP)
- Connects to devices such as barcode scanners, scales, and sensors
- Connects to any mobile device such as wireless smartphones and tablets
- Connects to any touch panel screen
Mix and Match
You can mix and match all of these features in any way you want!
Understanding Ignition's Flow
Ignition is simple to set up and use, unlike anything else you've encountered in the HMI/SCADA world before. Getting installed and running is easy, and once you have your project set up it's extremely simple to start using. After installation, setting up and using a project follows this simple set of steps:
- Launch the Gateway Webpage
The Gateway Webpage is where all of your information is stored, and where all of the general configuration happens. Here you can set up your Device connections, your Database Connections, alter your security, make backups, and set up redundancy.
- Launch the Designer
Once your connections are in place, you can start using them to create a project. Opening a Designer is as simple as clicking a link in the Gateway. No installation is necessary, and you can even launch the Designer from any other computer on the network. Add Tags, query databases, show status, history trends, and alarms in your project.
- Save your project
When you save, Ignition is sending all your data and all your changes back to the Gateway. Everything is centrally stored in the Gateway so you never have to worry about managing several versions or trying to combine many changes into one. You can even launch many Designers concurrently to allow multiple people to work on the same project at the same time. Projects aren't limited in scope, and you can create anything you can think of. HMI, SCADA, Reporting, Historian, and Alarming.
- Launch Clients
Launch one Client or 20! Clients launch the same way as the Designer: simply click a link in the Gateway, no install is necessary. All of your clients talk directly to the Gateway to get new information on the fly, so there's no need to worry about them ever getting out of sync or loading changes individually to Clients.
Ignition's modular platform can support requirements of any type by selecting the modules for your needs and building processes suited for your business. Just create your project, it's all managed in one central platform and can be launched anywhere you want.