User Sources support managing the users and roles from within Ignition to varying degrees. Some User Sources are fully manageable, meaning that you can administer the users, roles, contact info, and so on from within the Ignition Gateway, as well as inside a Vision Client. Other User Sources do not support this at all, while yet others only partially support it. Make sure you understand how and where the administration takes place before you choose a User Source type.
For User Sources that support it, you can manage the users and roles from within the Ignition Gateway's web configure interface under Configure > Security > Users, Roles. Click on the manage link next to the User Source you want to administer.
Often, it is desirable to let some management or administrative users of a Vision project manage other users without having to log into the Gateway's Configure section. To do this for a User Source that supports being managed, you can simply use the built-in User Management Panel that comes with the Vision Module.
User Management Component
Ignition has a special User Management component that allows you to add, modify, and delete users and roles (and more) inside the Designer and the Client. This is extremely simple to set up and use.
Using the User Management Component in the Designer and Client
- In Designer, drag a User Management component to your window.
- If you already have some users and roles setup using the Gateway interface, you will see those users and roles in the User Management component. If you don't have any users or roles setup, you can create them here. Use the icons on the right side to add, edit, or delete a user or role.
The image below shows a header and some checkboxes because we are looking at the User Management page from one of the Project Templates.
- To add a new user, put the Designer in Preview Mode. Click the the green plus icon next to the user section.
- The Add User window will open. At a minimum, enter the Username and Password. All other properties are optional. When finished, click Save.
Click the back button to return to the Users section.
- To add a new role, make sure the Designer is in Preview Mode, and click the the green plus icon next to the role.
The Add Role window will open. Enter the name of the new role. Click Save.
Click the back button to return to the Users window.
- Now you can see the user and role that were just added in the User Management window.
Save Failed. You are not authorized...
By default, changes to the system's user source may not be made from this component. This prevents users from locking themselves out of the gateway, or give themselves access to the gateway.
However, this behavior can be overridden from the Gateway: Configure > System > Gateway Settings page, and setting the checkbox for the 'Allow User Admin' property. This allows for the administration of the Gateway's system user source from the Designer and the Client. Unless this is enabled, the Vision Module's User Management component is prevented from modifying the Gateway system's selected user source and you will see an error at the bottom of the component if it is attempted.
Alternatively, you can simply have a separate User Source for the Gateway. This allows you to have a User Source containing all users that should have client access, and a Gateway-specific User Source that allows access to the Gateway and Designer. This would potentially entail changing the System's User Source: Configure > System > Gateway Settings > System User Source in the Gateway Webpage.